Contracts and Grants:
- Nano to continuum multi-scale modeling techniques and analysis for cementitious materials under dynamic loading, North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University/US Army Research Office, Co-PI, with A.M. Rajendran (PI), Al-Ostaz, P.R. Mantena, $900,000, 2011-2015.
- Nano-enhanced and bio-inspired composite materials for mitigation and protection of TIH railcars and stationary tanks against high power impact, Southeast Region Research Initiative, Department of Homeland Security, Co-PI, with A. Al-Ostaz (PI), C.S. Song and A. Rajendran, $1,001,970, 2010-2011.
- Structural, material, and geotechnical solutions to levee and floodwall construction and retrofitting, Southeast Region Research Initiative, Department of Homeland Security, PI, $1,959,537, 2007-2011.
- Blast and impact resistant composite structures for navy ships, Office of Naval Research, Co-PI, with P.R. Mantena (PI) and A. Al-Ostaz, $2,340,000, 2007-2010.
- Nano particle reinforced composites for critical infrastructure protection, Southeast Region Research Initiative, Department of Homeland Security, Phase I through III, PI, $1,459,339, 2007-2012.
- Erosion control and stabilization technology for alluvial channels and earthern embankments, USDA Cooperative Agreement, National Sedimentation Laboratory, PI, $96,259, 2008-2013.
- Mississippi embayment regional ground-water study, University of Memphis/ Environmental Protection Agency, P.I., $68,278, 2006-2007.
- Dynamic response and simulations of nanoparticle-enhanced composites, Office of Naval Research, Co-PI, with P.R. Mantena (PI) and A. Al-Ostaz, $75,000, 2006-2007.
- Nanotechnology: Modeling of polymer-carbon nanotube composites at multiple spatial and time scales, Mississippi Space Grant Consortium, Co-PI, with A. Al-Ostaz (PI), P.R. Mantena, C.S. Song and E. Jao, $25,000, 2005.
- Optimal groundwater modeling for sustainable management of coastal aquifers, National Science Foundation, PI, $41,313, 2004-2007.
- Erosion control technology for levees and streambanks, and determination of sediment-transport rates in diffused and concentrated flows, USDA Cooperative Agreement, National Sedimentation Laboratory, PI, with amendments 1-7, $414,963, 2003-2008.
- Organization building of the Southeastern Water Resources Research and Environmental Policy Consortium, Mississippi Water Resources Research Institute, Co-PI, with E. Holmes (PI), $35,000, 2002-2003.
- Investigation of mechanics of magnetoporoelastic materials, NASA EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Grants, PI, $4,000, 2002-2003.
- Foundation stability of marine structures under wave loadings, University of Delaware Research Foundation, PI, $12,000, 1986-1987.
- Poroelastic hydraulic fracturing code, Gas Research Institute, PI, $35,346, 1987.
- Groundwater modeling in multi-aquifer systems, Delaware State Water Resources Institute Program/U.S. Department of Interior, PI, $15,000, (with $15,000 matching), 1989-1990.
- Poroelastic consideration in in-situ stress determination by micro hydraulic fracturing, Gas Research Institute, PI, $79,207, 1989-1990.
- Environmental fate investigation of chromium contamination, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Co-PI, with C.P. Huang (PI) and H.E. Allen, $49,767, 1990-1991.
- Poroelasticity in rock mechanics, University of Oklahoma, PI, $10,000, 1992.
- Effect of specific chemical reactions on the transformation and the transport of chromium in the soil-water system and in concrete walls, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Co-PI, with C.P. Huang (PI) and H.E. Allen, $65,895, 1992-1993.
- Boundary element for poroelastodynamics and soil-structure interaction, NATO Scientific Affairs Division, PI, with J. Dominguez, 204,000 BF ($6,000), 1992-1994.
- Microcomputer based regional groundwater modeling systems, U.S. Agency for International Development, PI, with G. Dagan (Israel), D. Ouazar (Morocco), and O. Lafe (Nigeria), $198,827, 1991-1994.
- Stochastic and deterministic analysis of acoustic plane wave reflection from a random inhomogeneous anisotropic porous seafloor, Office of Naval Research, Co-PI, with M. Badiey (PI), $168,200, 1992-1994.
- Analysis of broadband acoustic signals in shallow water, Office of Naval Research, PI, $15,000 (including a $7,145 subgrant), 1993-1994.
- Groundwater modeling for wellhead protection under hydrological and geological uncertainties, Delaware State Water Resources Institute Program/U.S. Department of Interior, PI, with A.S. Andres, $34,000, (with $74,000 matching), 1993-1995.
- Critical Poroelastic Effects in Rocks, NSF Rock Mechanics Research Center, subcontract from University of Oklahoma, PI, $113,800, 1993-1995.
- Monitoring and modeling of saltwater intrusion, implemented to Gaza Strip and Morocco, U.S. Agency for International Development, PI, with S. Sorek (Israel), S.K. Shaath (Gaza Strip), D. Ouazar (Morocco), A. Melloul (Israel), and L. Konikow (USGS), $422,857, 1994-1996.
- Acoustic wave reflection and scattering in shallow water sediments, Office of Naval Research, PI, $95,000, 1993-1996.
- Stability and bifurcation of sound propagation in the ocean, Office of Naval Research, PI, with M. Badiey, $57,000, 1995-1997.
- Earthquake mitigation related to floatation of buried pipelines, (travel grant), National Science Foundation, Co-PI, with P. Ling (PI), $7,000, 1997-1998.
- An intelligent integrated saltwater intrusion modeling system, U.S. Agency for International Development, PI, with D. Ouazar (Morocco), G. Dagan (Israel), and I. Herrera (Mexico), $200,000 (including a $70,000 Israel subgrant), 1995-1998.
- Shallow water seismo-acoustics of porous seafloor, Office of Naval Research, PI, $103,525, 1995-1999.
- Development of a lighthouse platform for multivariate environmental monitoring in estuaries, Delaware Sea Grant College Program, Co-PI, with M. Badiey (PI) and K.-C. Wong, $184,191, plus $10,000 equipment grant from University of Delaware, 1999-2001.
- A thermoelastic hydraulic fracture design tool for geothermal reservoir development, Department of Energy, through University of North Dakota, PI (U. Delaware subcontract), $58,066, with A. Ghassemi (PI) and E. Detournay, total $201,000, 1999-2001.
- Development of a multivariate environmental monitoring network in Delaware Bay, Delaware Sea Grant College Program, Co-PI, with M. Badiey (PI), K.-C. Wong, and Y. Mu, $295,848, 2001-2003.
- Boundary integral solution of problems in porous-elastic soil consolidation, Initiation Grant, National Science Foundation, PI, $48,000, 1983-1985.
University of Mississippi
University of Delaware