- Drs. Mustafa Matalgah and Alexander Yakovlev have been promoted as full professors, effective July 1, 2013. Congratulations to both on their promotion!
- Dr. Matalgah was a co-recipient of a patent, “Method for Precoding and Decoding Distributing MIMO Channels in Relay-based DF Cooperative Wireless Networks,” (M. Matalgah, Co-inventor with Moon Ho Lee and Wei Song). Patent No. US 2012-0008702 A1, Date of Patent Jan. 12, 2012.
- Dr. Atef Elsherbeni recently coauthored a textbook: Khaled ElMahgoub, Fan Yang, and Atef Z. Elsherbeni, Scattering Analysis of Periodic Structures Using Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Morgan and Claypool, 2012.
- Dr. Elsherbeni has been selected as the recipient of the 2013 ACES Technical Achievement Award from the Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society. He was also the general chair of the ACES 2013conference held at Monterey, CA, March 2013.
- Dr. Atef Elsherbeni was elected to be the president of ACES society for two years term starting from April 2013.
- Dr. Allen Glisson, Professor Emeritus, received the ACES Meritorious Service Award. This award is to honor outstanding and dedicated service to ACES.
- The faculty of Electrical Engineering continue to be highly productive in scholarly publications, with more than 25 journal publications in high quality journals. Moreover, several faculty have presented papers at national and international conferences in the past year.
- Dr. John Daigle has been working with Dr. Ziaeddin Shariat-Madar of School of Pharmacy on the application of computer communication theory and protocols to enhance the understanding of biological systems, which may form a major step towards detection and treatment of disease. He presented an invited talk on “Modeling the spontaneous reaction of Mammalian cells to external stimuli,” in November at Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- Dr. Alex Yakovlev presented a Keynote talk, “Homogenization of Wire Media for the Efficient Analysis of Practical Metamaterial Structures at Microwave and Terahertz Frequencies,” at the 4 th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics (META’13), March 2013, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.
- Electrical Engineering welcomes Mr. Dwight O’Dell as the new Laboratory Coordinator. Dwight brings many years of experience as technician and engineering supervisor at many companies, including his most recent stint at the Physical Plant on campus.
On Monday, February 18, the Electrical Engineering Department in Cooperation with Computer and Information Science Department hosted a one-day workshop with faculty from Jackson State University at Oxford campus. Dr. Lei Cao of UM and Dr. Tarek El-Bawab of JSU organized the workshop presentations. The purpose was to discuss various research activities taking place in these departments and to explore collaborative opportunities to pursue joint research. It was a successful event as judged by strong participation from 19 faculty members.
Mr. Samuel L Di received the Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Electrical Engineering Student award for 2013, the prestigious Taylor medal awarded by the University, and the Electric Power Associations of Mississippi Scholarship Fund award. The electric power scholarship is valued at $2,500 for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Ms. Rana Gordji received the Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Electrical Engineering Junior award for 2013.
The 2013 Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Electrical Engineering Sophomore award went to Mr. Dustin Thomas Brown.
SoE outstanding graduate achievement award (Ph.D. student): Mr. Ahmed Khidre
Two of the EE Ph.D students received the first and third places of the best student paper awards at ACES 2013 conference. The First place was awarded to Payam Nayeri and the third place was awarded to Ahmed Abdelrahman. Both students are co-advised by Dr. Fan Yang and Dr. Atef Elsherbeni.
Congratulations to all awardees!