NICHALOS D. GARDNER, P.E.
5000 Ridgewood Road, Apt 406
Jackson, MS 39211
May 2004 - Present Hinds County, Jackson, MS
Director of Public Works/Road Manager
- Administers the day to day activities of the department
- Supervises over 120 employees
- Sets and Modifies Department Policies
- Manages Department Budget of $7.5M - $8.5M
- Regulates Permitted Activities of Department
- Review new Subdivision Plats for Approval
- Communicate written and orally daily with Citizens and Board of Supervisors
- Oversees implementation of new Programs and Regulations
Aug 1999 - May 2004 Interface Construction Corporation St. Louis, MO
Project Manager/Project Engineer
- Assist with the design of various projects.
- Estimate and perform value engineering for construction projects.
- Perform constructability assessments of projects.
- Identify design problem and work with Owners, CMs and Design teams to resolve issues.
- Interact with Code officials to secure permits and to comply with governing codes.
- Manage team of Construction workers and budget for projects from $100K to $8M.
- Schedule and monitor construction progress for projects.
- Research ISO 14000 model to asses EMS for company's operations.
- Implement the execution of EMS during the construction of projects.
Dec 2002 - May 2004 (concurrent with position at Interface) City of Northwoods Northwoods, MO
Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer
- Inspect buildings for compliance with local and BOCA codes.
- Review construction plans for local and BOCA code compliance.
- Generate reports for court cases on code and ordinance violations.
- Advise elected officials on code and ordinance issues and interpretation.
- Review and assess City's EMS for governance of Public Works operations.
- Advise residents of acceptable disposal of trash and debris.
May 1997 - Aug 1998 IMS Engineers Jackson, MS
- Designed municipal water distribution systems.
- Modeled water profiles using HEC-1, HEC-2, HEC-RAS, TR-20 and TR-55.
- Designed Channel Stabilizations for USACE and USDA - Soil Conservation.
- Performed structural analysis and site design for projects.
- Managed CADD operators working on design drawings (Microstation and AutoCAD).
- Evaluated and ensured that Local Network System was properly operating.
- Performed Environmental Assessments (Phase I & II) of sites and filed reports.
- Researched Environmental Standards for continual compliance.
- Communicated with State and Federal Agencies on compliance issues.
- Wrote and assembled technical specifications for projects.
Education and Credentials
Mississippi State University Starkville, MS
Master of Science-Civil/Environmental Engineering (Water Resources)
- Formulated Fortran 77 code for groundwater contamination models.
- Utilized TR-20, TR-55, and HEC-RAS for water modeling.
- Reviewed Federal Permitting requirements and regulations.
University of Mississippi Oxford, MS
Bachelor of Science - Civil Engineering
Water Resources Learning Center Fairfax, VA
Design of Storm water Management Systems
Design of Storm Sewers and Pavement Drainage
- Modeled Storm water Profiles using TR-20, TR-55, HEC-RAS, HEC-6, and HydroCAD.
- Designed Highway drainage system.
- Calculated and sized several runoff retention ponds.
- Surveyed pump station design and requirements.
- Reviewed several BMPs, and most recent Federal Permitting Requirements.
Professional Engineer - Missouri No. E2001018736
- American Society of Civil
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- National Society of Black Engineers - President, Vice President
- National Engineers Week Future City Competition - Engineering Mentor
- Regional Coordinator
- Associated General Contractors - Technology Transfer Committee, Classroom