|Heads of School of Engineering, 1900-present|
|Alfred Hume||1900-1908||Professor of Mathematics|
|Walter Hugh Drane||1908-1911||Dean|
|John Hazard Dorrah||1911-1916||Professor of Civil Engineering|
|John Hazard Dorrah||1916-1931||Dean|
|Alfred Hume||1931-1933||Acting Dean|
|Andrew Broadus Hargis||1933-1937||Dean|
|Lee H. Johnson||1937-1950||Dean|
|Frederick H. Kellogg||1950-1964||Dean|
|Karl Brenkert, Jr||1964-1979||Dean|
|Allie M. Smith||1979-2000||Dean|
|James G. Vaughan||2000-2000||Acting Dean|
The accomplishments of any organization must be due, in part, to its leaders. The table above shows the heads of the School of Engineering since its inception. The important role played by Dr. Hume in establishing the School and guiding it in its formative years has already been mentioned. Professor Hume, whose influence so affected the University during most of the first half of the twentieth century, remained vitally interested in the program of the Engineering School through 1950. Certainly, Professor Dorrah who headed the School for 20 years from 1911 to 1931 brought a continuing and stable influence to the engineering program. Professor Hargis still would return to Ole Miss in the late 1960's and vigorously criticize the curriculum changes. Dr. Johnson left Ole Miss to head the well-known engineering school at Tulane and was well known throughout the nation as an outstanding engineer educator. Dr. Kellogg was recognized as a respected authority in soil mechanics and foundations. Dean Brenkert took over the School at a rather low point in the University's history, ushered in an engineering-science oriented program and built up the school considerably. Dean Allie Smith led the School of Engineering for 21 years, a time longer than any of his peers at other engineering institutions in the nation.
When considering the leaders of the Engineering School, one must not forget Dr. Frank Abel Anderson. Dr. Anderson has been a very powerful and stable influence on the Engineering School and the University since 1941. That he is beloved by the students and his fellow faculty members is proved by his being voted the Outstanding University Teacher and in 1970 having the newest engineering building named Anderson Hall.